TWENTY NINE shot dead including 22 children at Connecticut elementary as ‘student’s father’ and a second shooter massacre entire class in worst school shooting in American history
- The shooter - believed to be 24-years-old from New Jersey - is confirmed dead and body still inside the school
- A parent of the gunman was found dead at his home in New Jersey
- Second gunman now in custody
- One entire classroom is unaccounted for, sources said
- One teacher said masked gunman started firing out shots from kindergarten classroom shortly after 9.30am
- One student said there were bullets whizzing by him in the hallway
- At least 100 rounds are believed to have been fired
- Female principal and school psychologist believed to have been targeted
- Children huddled in closets and teachers locked classrooms as gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday morning
- There were screams coming over the intercom
At least 29 people are believed to be dead - including 22 children - after a gunman believed to be a student’s father opened fire today at an elementary school in Connecticut, making it the worst school shooting in U.S. history.
Police were dispatched to Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown after they received reports of shots being fired by a gunman in one of the kindergarten classrooms at 9.35am.
There are preliminary reports a student’s 24-year-old father was the shooter and that he went from classroom-to-classroom firing at students and teachers with a .223-caliber rifle.
One of his parents was found dead at his New Jersey home around 2pm.
An entire classroom of students is unaccounted for and frantic parents are rushing to the school desperately seeking information on the safety of their children.
The gunman is dead and his body still at the scene. It is unclear if he shot himself or was brought down by an officer.
A second man who was seen running from the school right after the shooting was taken into custody around 1pm after he was found in nearby woods.
The gunman is believed to have been carrying four weapons including two handguns and a rifle and was wearing a bullet-proof vest.
One mother told CBS that her child said there were bullets ‘whizzing by’ him in the hallway and that a teacher pulled him into a classroom.
The shooting is the latest in a series of high-profile gun crimes in American schools and colleges, that is especially shocking given the age of the students involved
Speaking with MSNBC, one mother said she had heard the principal had been shot dead.
'The principal was killed and some other people were shot,' the unidentified woman said outside the school.
Her daughter added: ‘Miss Martin closed the door and we went into the corner’, before the gunman let out ‘lots of shots’.
The school psychologist is believed to be among the dead.
adoptpets: This is so sad! My heart aches for those poor children & their families. Those poor adults & children never stood a chance. I’m so tired of this happening! America it’s time to change our gun laws! Buying a gun shouldn’t be so easy.
Is the NRA happy with all of their lobbying efforts? Oh, I can hear their response now, “if only those children were allowed to bring guns to elementary school, then one of them could have shot the gunmen and saved everyone.” Fuck the NRA!!! And Fuck these sick fucks who could massacre innocent children. What the fuck is wrong with people?